Thursday, April 21, 2016

Gay of A Certain Age - Crisis? What Crisis?


Lately I've been feeling a little blue.  It's more than a loneliness thing, it's kind of a "something is missing" feeling, which I'm still convinced has a lot to do with my last 3 weeks of whirlwind travel & activity.  It got me wondering if this was a mid-life crisis.  Aren't I a little too old for mid-life?  I'm almost fifty, but I don't think I've ever had that big moment where I wonder what the hell I've done with my life, dump my age-appropriate boyfriend, take up with a 20 something jr hunk, and buy a sporty new car.  I'm basically content with my life and don't regret much- it's all been kind of nice.  Of course, I've been living a good portion of my life in a self-protective bubble that lets only a few people get very close to me, surrounded by a thick layer of great, trustworthy family & friends.
Does everyone have a mid-life crisis?  Can I expect to act unreasonably and go off on some wild tangent any time soon?  Or can I expect this moment of melancholy to just fade away, as usual, with no fancy red Miata to show for it?  I'll stay tuned and keep my 2001 Integra in the meantime...

As a Gay of A Certain Age, I've come to take bouts of the blues in stride and believe that everything is fine, I am where I'm supposed to be and who I'm supposed to be. ..driving what makes sense for me.  I think some people believe that life is not complete without a midlife crisis, so they jump on any unusual circumstance to convince themselves that it is happening and everything is wrong for them.  I found something to keep things in perspective for other Gays of a Certain Age.  It's a little harsh, but I think it does that trick.  HERE it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment