Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Gay of A Certain Age - Defeated


I wasn't kidding when I said that show was kicking my ass...
Alright, the photo is a bit posed and hyperbolic, but it isn't that far from the truth.   The constant action on stage and heat under the lights, in a wig and in the tight dressing room really drained me.  When I started doing this show 13 years ago, it didn't task me so.  Well, I recently discovered that age and heat were not the only reason I was having trouble.  My physician, Dr. Blueeyes, called and left me a message.  My check-up results came in and it turns out I am officially a Type 2 Diabetic.
So, you'll be relieved to learn that we won't be suffering anymore "Wah wah wah, I'm fat, poor me..." posts.  I've yet to speak to Dr. Blueeyes, but I'm hoping he'll let me have six weeks to turn things around before we start me on medication.  You see, I wasn't exaggerating when I've said I haven't been to the gym in at least two years.  I'm hoping that if I actually start up the working out & fitness stuff, I'll be able to reverse the damage.  I've had a continuing conversation with a friend of mine whom also struggles with weight.  I call it the "What Will It Take?" talk.   When I was first told I was Pre-Diabetic, I didn't change my behavior much. That diagnosis wasn't enough to at least get me to the gym?  Then he had a health scare, which didn't change his behavior for very long.  Recently we had a friend lose a chunk of his foot to diabetes! What will it take?  Well, I hope I can call this new development "What it took".

On the positive side, when we started the show, I was weighing in at 208 and this morning I was at 202.  See? All that sweating on stage was good for something;  I got a little head start!
Today, after work, I started a walking regime and did a 40 minute walk around town with my iPod, ending at Guisados, where I was fairly certain I couldn't do too much damage after my walk.
Also, I was gonna wait until after my birthday in October, but I guess I have to start my Recreate Geoff at 50 Project a little early.  So, as a Gay of A Certain Age I've come to a point that when I feel defeated, I must rebound and appreciate that 2 goals are better than one!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you. As someone who has re-started his process, you have my complete support and admiration! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete