Friday, January 20, 2017

Gay of A Certain Age - Rags to Bitches


So, I was looking for a place to stash a couple of Dunny boxes and after finding no more room in the cabinets that should be holding dishes in my kitchen, I moved to other places of my apartment.  That's when I realized that I have way too many towels!  I'm a single gay, why do I have 30 towels?  I have my decorative reds for my bathroom, a couple to get from laundry day to laundry day and a couple of really oversized ones for guests.  Then, I saw I had some bedding I didn't use anymore, because while pink triangles fighting with green squares and orange ovals was fun for 12 years, the colors have faded a little and why do I have bedding for a twin bed?

So now that I've made room for my collectables boxes, what to do with all these towels & bed stuffs?

Well, it turns out that there are dogs and cats in shelters that could use a little comfort.  Almost all of my friends who have dogs got them from shelters and that's great! It's an opportunity to give back for the snuggies and kisses I've gotten from shelter dogs!  I loaded my car up with towels, sheets, bed spreads and older pillows (all laundered!) and let them sit there for a few weeks until I had a chance to drop them off.  I picked a shelter in the valley because the shelters around me are in Beverly Hills and I figured those shelters prolly don't need the donation as much as others.

The hardest thing to do was leave without a rescue.  I forced myself to avoid areas where I might see the faces the matched the whining I heard.  I let myself off the hook by thinking that I may have brought a few of those pups comfort with my donation, especially during these cold and rainy nights, lately.  As a Gay of A Certain Age, I know the value of a small gesture on a cold and lonely night, even one as indirect as a slightly unpuffed pillow and an outdated bedspread, because I know that while I may not be "rescued", there is someone, somewhere concerned about me and my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment