Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Gay of A Certain Age - Man Blog


So, I have this blog, (Yeah, I know blogs are dead) and the other day I wrote about how I keep a scraper "in my purse".  Well, some helpful friend thought she would help me by pointing out that I meant "Man Purse".  No, I meant "purse".  That's what it is.  Do I keep a bunch of useless crap in it?  Yeah.  Do I carry it by a handle or strap?  Yeah.  So, it's a purse!  Am I so insecure that I need to add the word "man" in front of it?  No.  The word "man" doesn't make the item any less feminine.  You know those things atop hispter guys heads?  They're buns.  Calling them "Man buns" doesn't make them any less feminine than the long "girly" hair that unfurls when they're undone, that they are.
The only thing worse than someone calling their own feminine thing "Man"-something to make it more butch, is someone else presuming to call my stuff "man"-anything!

As a Gay of A Certain Age, I've had to deal with hiding my true desires and minding my behavior & mannerisms to keep myself safe and alive for well over 45 years.  I've gotten to the point of not caring what labels someone is putting on me (as long as they are true).  If i'm concerned with being masculine, I'll not do, carry or wear anything feminine and I won't deny it's feminine by calling it "Man"-this.  So, sorry Miss Friend, I know you were trying to be helpful, but I don't need anyone's help in denying who I am or how I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment