Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Gay of A Certain Age - Purple Balls?


IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW STUFF ABOUT THE SHOW CUZ YOU AIN'T SEEN IT, DON'T READ THIS.  SKIP DOWN TO THE SPOILER -FREE MINI REVIEW.

Of all the shows I saw this past weekend, THE COLOR PURPLE touched me most.  My eyes were moist at several points in the show.  I think the part that had my cheeks most wet was close to the end, when Celie sings I'M HERE.  This song comes at a point when aging Celie realizes that she has all she needs, even without a lover next to her.  I couldn't help but sit there listening to the song wondering if that's going to be me.  These lyrics hit home:
Got my house
It still keeps the cold out
Got my chair
When my body can't hold out
Got my hands doin things like they s'post to
Showing my heart to the folks that I'm close to
I got my eyes though they don't see as far now
They see more 'bout how things really are now
I'm gonna take a deep breath
I'm gonna hold my head up
Gonna put my shoulders back
And look you straight in the eye
I'm gonna flirt with somebody
When they walk by
I'm gonna sing out

I believe I have inside of me
Everything that I need to live a bountiful life
With all the love inside of me
I'll stand as tall as the tallest tree
And I'm thankful for each day that I'm given
Both the easy and the hard ones I'm livin'
But most of all
Yes I'm thankful for lovin' who I really am
I'm beautiful
Yes I'm beautiful
And I'm here.

As a Gay of A Certain Age, I suppose that there are fewer things more rewarding that realizing your beauty and strength to love yourself.

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

WOW!!! I came for the Hudson, but left enraptured by Erivo!

First, I thought I was going to continue my growing frustration with John Doyle's direction, but this streamlined version flows scene to scene beautifully. The cast is very strong. Jennifer Hudson sounds great and delivers a great Shug Avery, but Cynthia Erivo, as Celie, grows from unassuming, quiet girl to powerhouse grand dame who deservedly received a standing ovation after her song "I'm Here". This production moved me very much. My favorite this visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment