Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Gay of a Certain Age


As a Gay of a Certain Age, I've decided that my time off the stage does not need to be spent in the spotlight.  When I see some hyper gay bouncing around, speaking loudly and trying to be everyone's friend, I get so very annoyed.  I get annoyed mostly because I realize that that used to be me.  Certainly, when I was doing that, I wasn't consciously thinking "I must make everyone look at me and like me! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!"  I just thought that I was high energy and fun!
Now, I find that I'm okay with not leading a conversation, or even expressing an opinion on a certain subject.  I learned that it is possible to be right all the time, it's just not necessary that everyone knows it.  Of course, I still desire attention, but I no longer desire to put a lampshade on my head and dance on a table.  Now, I put a wig on my head and dance on a stage and (hopefully) earn attention rather than grab it.  Don't get me wrong, I don't retreat to the corners at parties or dinners with friends and I'll take my moments when they come my way- because if someone says, "Danny, Sondheim. Go!"  I'm Being Alive, taking Rose's Turn and Losing My Mind in an instant!  Mostly, I'm comfortable and content sitting calmly, waiting for attention to come to me.  
Now, someone please tell that Lady GaGa spewing Noid to shut the fuck up and sit down.

No comments:

Post a Comment