Saturday, April 11, 2015

Gay of a Certain Age - BASH!


I know, that as a gay of a certain age, I should probably be excited about another
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD movie, seeing that it is a classic story of
A single woman and the three (3!) men in her life, but my excitement is all building
for MARVEL'S AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON! I'm like a school kid,
waiting for the final bell to ring on the last day of school!

I never was into comics as a kid,
I couldn't even bring myself to buy The Walking Dead graphic novels
when they first came out because the action blocks with scattered dialogue boxes
Didn't appeal to me at all.  Now, here I am, a huge fan of the zombie infested TVshow
and chomping at the bit for the supe opera on May 1.

Maybe the hunky men in tight, form fitting costumes appeals to the gay in me,
But I also love the adventure and the BAM POW action.
Should a 47 year old man be so excited about these living cartoons?
Is this a sign of immaturity or is it showing a healthy & active imagination
allowing itself to be caught be stories of heroism, betrayal and friendship?
Isn't it a straight guy thing, in its machoness?
Surely, the gay sensitivity would scoff at handling these problems with such violence.
(I will admit, I actually worry about each individual in that falling skyscraper or falling bridge...)
Certainly my gay sensibility would push me toward more artful fare.
Sure, some of my gay dollars go to supporting the period costume dramas and
indie coming-of- GAYge movies, but I'll be darned in I haven't helped fund a new
wing at Marvel/Disney.

Actually, I'm quite confident in my childish excitement for these movies,
Because I don't think it's an age thing, or a gay thing, I think it's
a fun thing and a willingness to let go and enjoy the ride.
So, I hope you'll join me on this ride,  regardless of your age, sex, or orientation.

(Actually, when I was young and had imaginary playtime that included superheroes,
I was always being rescued and being held safely in the arm of the superhero of the day.
That makes it somewhat gay, no?)

No comments:

Post a Comment